36 weeks pregnant, bioflavonoids, chobani vanilla greek yogurt smoothie, cholesterol healthy smoothie, citrus smoothie, citrus smoothie with yogurt, creamy citrus smoothie, grapefruit, grapefruit and orange smoothie, grapefruit clementine orange smoothie, healthy orange julius at home, homemade orange julius, naval orange smoothie, orange julius at home, orange julius smoothie, orange smoothie, sweetly vegan
Ever tried to make an Orange Julius at home?
Well this baby tastes a lot like your favorite childhood citrus smoothie, just healthier and doesn’t need any added sweetener! (Please forgive my very sad looking strawberry garnish)
And if you didn’t know, citrus fruits are in season! For the past few weeks I have had more oranges, clementines, and grapefruits than I know what to do with thanks to our weekly delivery, Farm Fresh to You (a LA based co-op). Now, I am not always the biggest fan of slicing a grapefruit and eating it plain, so when I came across this fab smoothie recipe over on my friend’s blog Balanced Healthy Life, I got super excited to finally use mine up! Btw, if you haven’t checked out her blog yet you really should!
I basically followed her recipe exactly, only I used the whole piece of fruit instead of just the fruit’s juice. Why? Two reasons. One, being I am too lazy to juice fruit. Second, I wanted the fruit’s fiber, which really helps to keep your blood sugar levels in check and your belly full.
*Note ~ When I use citrus fruits in smoothies I like to leave on as much of the pith (the white part underneath the skin) as I can. The pith contains extra vitamin C, it’s a good source of soluble fiber, and is filled with the antioxidant called bioflavonoids. Also the seeds are good for you! If your fruit has any, try leaving them in (this doesn’t always apply for pits, so do your research before trying to get creative with other fruits)
Creamy Citrus Smoothie adapted from Balanced Healthy Life
Its tangy, bursting with flavor, and has a nice creamy consistency thanks to a frozen banana and some super thick greek yogurt.
- 1 medium-large Ruby grapefruit (peeled, and cut into smaller segments so your blender can handle it)
- 2 medium oranges (peeled, I used one very large orange, and one large clementine)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 container (or about 6 oz.) non-fat vanilla greek yogurt
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
- 4 ice cubes
Place all ingredients into your vitamix or blender, blend til smooth.
This recipe will feed two people, or one just-finished-working-out pregnant girl! ;)
What are your favorite citrus fruits?
If you buy orange juice, do you buy the kind with pulp?
Did you know that citrus fruits help to lower cholesterol?
- Sweet and Smooth Citrus Smoothie from What Color is Your Smoothie? (nancycreative.com)
- Strawberry Peach Banana Smoothie Bowl (sweetlyvegan.com)
- Orange Vodka, Citrus Vodka & Citrus Cocktails (williams-sonoma.com)
- Very Berry Smoothie (theheartyherbivore.wordpress.com)
- Green Smoothies & Green Smoothie Recipe (williams-sonoma.com)